A sad story about printers and bad luck

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NinjaDuck, Feb 14, 2017.

1. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

Hey guys,
    here's the rather sad story about my first experience in 3D printing. TLDR at the end, sorry for broken english.

So I pre-ordered a Delta-Go, as a first printer in may. Not to mention, I was pretty hyped, because I could have started printing some time in the summer (initial release date was june).
    Release got delayed. Fine, I mean, there was a thread in this forum, with updates about the production, that was pretty cool.
    So I waited another month. Release got delayed from 2 more months.
    I waited until november, opening thunderbird everyday, waiting for the promised "your item have been shipped" mail. Once I got it, I was pretty happy.
    I waited another month. This time, customs clearance was to blame. OK I guess.
    And then the printer came in. I was holding my breath setting it up, thinking I could finally print stuff.
    God I was wrong.
    Red sleeve on hotend was missing, thermistor came out, thermistor shorted, board fried. Some guy at support told me to send back the print head (for a fried board? that's weird, but he's from support, he probably knows what he's doing).
    So I paid 20 bucks to send it overseas, somehow got the address wrong, had to send it again 2 weeks later, paid another 20 bucks.
    Now remember we're at least 6 months after the date I thought I could print my own Donald Trump adult-toy(https://www.shapeways.com/product/SCD3B2NJD/donald-trump-plug). 1 more month and I was mounting the new printhead on the printer. Didn't work.
    "Oh, it might be the board, can you send it back to us?", asked the support.
    "No, just send another one, I have a screwdriver, I can do that", I sadly replied.
    1 more month. I get back to support.
    "Hey, can you tell me when my new shiny board was sent?"
    "Oh, we're sending it tomorrow."
    another 2 weeks of waiting. I change everything myself, and manage to not mess anything up. Yay!
    Let's run the auto calibration!
    As a tear ran down my cheek, my beloved but not-so smart printer, started calibrating. Now here's the problem: you know those button-thingies on the top of each axis, which stop the carriage when he touches them? Now, what happens when one of those things don't work?
    The carriage slams on the top of the printer, and the stepper motor doesn't stop, because he doesn't know he's hurting itself.
    Mac Gyver himself apperead in my room, and touched my shoulder.
    "You have a screwdriver, fix it yourself" he said, while some chorus sang in the background.
    So I fixed it, and it worked. But now, two of the stepper motors make a hellish sound while moving, and I don't think they'll be part of this world for long.
    Do you think it's finished? WELL YOU'RE WRONG
    You remember those defective printheads (I'm sure you do, here's the post: http://forums.deltaprintr.com/index.php?threads/delta-go-production.689/page-5), which got filament stuck while you tried to remove it? Looks like I got one! Who doesn't love to remove the filament with a pair of pliers, while trying to not break anything?
    Well I broke something. It's that blue little wire, which seems to be the ground wire. I soldered it back, but that probably added some resistance, and now to hotend takes ages to heat (and stops 1 time out of 3 because it "took too long to reach temperature").
    But i managed to print the test cube anyway! That got my hopes waaay to high.
    So I try to print something else. Hotend rams into the bed. Re-calibration. Hotend rams into prints, tears it off the masking tape. Re-calibration. Everything's fine, but printing stops due to heat security.

I waited almost 10 months for this?

I'm tired. My request is simple: I want to get replacement for the 2 motors that killed themselves, and a new hotend that isn't defective. Can you guys do this for me? I understand that things may not be simple, as you are a new company, and you still need to adjust a few things, but I found too many excuses for those delays. If I don't get what I ask, I'll just send back the broken printer and ask for a refund.

TLDR: Printer takes months to arrive, printer doesn't work, change a few parts, works but break itself, and then doesn't work.

Thanks for reading my story, and have a good day,
    Jeremy Comelli

EDIT: Made Trump's toy SFW by removing bad words, grammar

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

Update: A factory reset seems to have helped a lot. Motors still sound like some dying animal, and make the carriages move un-smoothly, which gives "blurry" prints, but everything else runs well. Retraction works, which probably means that I got a not-defective printhead, which is nice.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  3. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Hi @NinjaDuck , some of these problems that you've listed are fairly easy to fix and have to do with software. Let me know if this helps:

1. Regarding the hotend taking too long to heat up, this is because the PID for the heater isn't auto-tuned. My best guess is that you ejected the MicroSD card from your computer and the config-override got corrupt, which erased the tuned settings. Simply re-run the factory_setup.gcode to re-tune it.

2. Regarding the hotend slamming into the bed, it's due to plastic being on the tip. That would be the only reason. The bottom of the tip has to be clean to make good contact with the bed. The blue wire you mentioned, that is for the auto-calibration not the heater.

3. The Nema17 motors are highly unlikely to die or be defective in 3D printers generally speaking. If you're having some noise come from it, check with M119 command to see if the end stops are working correctly. My best guess with the information you provided is that one of the end stops may be malfunctioning and the printer doesn't know where the carriage is located, so it's moving it slowly, causing the noise. This could be a hardware or a software issue, so please check with the command first.

Let us know if this helps. I've moved this thread to the troubleshooting section.

NinjaDuck likes this.
  4. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

Second update: Motors run smoothly now, I have no idea why the noise was there in the first place. Factory reset made printing possible, but I guess I spoke too soon about the defective printhead. Today, after heating it to 200c, I literally broke the filament inside the feeding tube (which previously came off the feeder, making feeding impossible, not to mention) while trying to remove it.

Anyway thanks for your reply, and have a good night

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  5. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

Hey @Shai, I don't know if you will see this, but I'm still not able to print thanks to defective printhead, and I can't get in touch with support, is this normal?

6. Shai

@NinjaDuck Have you tried our live chat support on our website at deltaprintr.com or using our contact-us form at deltaprintr.com/contact-us/ ?

What's your order number and can you please refresh my memory as to what the issue is with the print head?

7. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

8. Shai

Are your fan wires coming out from the top right or the bottom left when looking from the front of the printer?

9. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

10. Shai

Then you have our latest hotend design installed. Do you cut your filament at a sharp angle so it goes in smoothly? My best guess is that your filament didn't get pushed by hand past the push fit and got wedged where the push fit connects to the tube.

11. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

@Shai: I did. I fed the filament properly, it got into the printhead, and I managed to print a couple of things, but the filament kept getting stuck. On each retraction, the filament was streched, and pushed on the inside of the tube. As a result, pressure built up, until the push fit snapped. Here's a picture of the marks the printhead left on a sample of filament:
    [​IMG]

12. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

@Shai so, can I expect a replacement for the printhead and the push-fits? It would be kind of annoying to pay 50$ (without the shipping fees that might just be another whole 50$) for a new printhead, knowing I paid 500 bucks almost a year ago to get a printer that was supposed to work and be delivered in june last year.

13. Shai

Hi @NinjaDuck It sounds to me like you already received a replacement for your hotend since you mentioned that you pre-ordered it but you have a newer version of the hotend due to how the fan wires are oriented. The pre-orders shipped with the fan oriented a different way.

We will however have a free upgrade that we're going to offer in about a few weeks to those who already have a Delta Go printer - shipping not included.

What filament are you using? Brand name?

14. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

@Shai Yeah, the sleeve came off the first one, and the thermistor shorted, frying the board. But since the replacement you guys sent me seems to be defective, I'm not *exactly* satisfied with it. The picture I posted above is of the sample filament that came with the printer. If you want I can send the printhead back, but I'll have to pay 20 bucks and wait for an entire month (not to mention last time I actually waited 3...)

As I recall, upgrade includes new push-fits, which is great. When do you plan to release it?

Thanks for your response, and have a good day

15. Shai

We plan to release it in about 4 weeks roughly. It includes a new hotend as well and we will notify all users on how to obtain it once it's available.

16. NinjaDuck

NinjaDuck New Member

@Shai great, thanks for the update.