Delta Go and Octoprint

Discussion in 'General' started by Ben, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Ben

Ben New Member

Hooray, my Delta Go has arrived and is working well! After printing several objects, I decided I couldn't leave my laptop next to the printer the whole time it was printing, as it was a bit inconvenient. I thought about transferring the gcode to the sd card, but that seemed like a hassle to do for every print. I have had a Raspberry Pi model B sitting around for a few years now (a christmas present) that I have used for a few projects, so I thought I would try setting it up with the OctoPi image to control my printer. I was a bit confused at some steps, so I'm posting this not only to show of my setup, but to help other people trying to setup octoprint with their delta go.

Step 1
    Ok, so the first thing I did was visit the octoprint website and downloaded the octopi image. There are some steps on how to do this on their site, plus a helpful video that can show you how to get it working on the pi. It should work with all models of the pi, even the zero.

Step 2
    Once you get the octoprint server working, it's literally as easy as plugging in the delta printer into the pi via the usb cable. If you get some issues while trying to connect it, set the baudrate to 250000 and the serial port to something other than auto. It should detect it automatically. Once the printer is connected, you'll be able to see the current temperature of the hotend on the local webpage at http://octopi.local/. You can set the temperature of the hotend right from this page, and switching to the terminal lets you enter gcode.

Step 3
    Now that your printer is connected to the pi (the machine state should be operational), it's time to print something! Octoprint includes a cura slicer that you can upload profiles to, but I am a bit worried about using it, so I haven't tested it out yet. If you try it and it works, let me know below! I sliced my stl file in cura on my laptop, then uploaded the gcode file to octoprint using the webpage. You can just drag it on or click the 'upload' button on the left. You'll notice that the files on the sd card are shown here as well, if you wanted to run the calibration script. Once the gcode has been uploaded, all you have to do is make sure that the printer is taped and alcohol'ed and hit the print button on octoprint. The printer should heat up and start printing the file.

Step 4
    Octoprint is cool in the way that you can plug a webcam into the pi and it will give you a livestream of your print. Unfortunately I only have 2 usb ports on my pi and they are both taken up by the wifi dongle and the printer usb cable, and I don't own a powered usb hub, but if you plug a camera in, you should be able to get it working with octoprint.
    Another cool thing is the gcode viewer. This lets you view in real time a visualisation of what your printer is printing. You can play with the options to view it differently, personally I like turning on the previous layer so I can see how the printer builds on top of each layer. It's really interesting to watch, and you can use the sliders to step through the preview, or sync it with the printer.

My setup
    First up, here's my printer printing something:
    [​IMG]

Here's my raspberry pi model B controlling the print:
    [​IMG]

Here is my filament spool:
    [​IMG]

And you're probably wondering how it's turning. Well, a while ago I took apart an old computer, and inside the hard drive was the motor which I salvaged. It has really low friction, meaning it spins really smoothly, even with heavy weights on it. When I was struggling to find something to hold my 1kg spool, I though of the motor, and tried it out, not really thinking it'd work. To my surprise, it actually fit perfectly in the hole of the spool! Here it what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

Finally, an image of my octoprint interface halfway through a print:
    [​IMG]

Thanks, hope you learnt something. The best thing about the octopi setup is that you don't even have to be home to print something (although it's probably not a very good idea to print with it unattended), and anyone on your lan can view the interface without being able to control the printer thanks to the login system.

If you have any questions, please ask below!

2. denys

denys Active Member

Very good post.
    And I really like the hard drive motor idea.

Mike Harmon likes this.
  3. Matthias Peschek

Matthias Peschek Active Member

Octoprint is really great, though I don't use it right now.
    If you like octoprint maybe give the inventor some sort of appreciation ;)
    Lately she struggled keeping octoprint alive.

4. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Sweet tutorial! Thanks for sharing! Please do post pictures of your prints :)

5. kylejdyck

kylejdyck Active Member

Yeah I love OctoPrint and the RPi. I have one set up on my i3 and wouldn't want to be without it. I've been waiting on spending the $$$ for another one for the Go, but I think this might motivate me to get one ASAP.

There IS apparently a way to have OctoPrint set up so even if you're not in your LAN you can log in and control it, but I haven't gotten that figured out.

Mike Harmon likes this.
  6. Ben

Ben New Member

If you have changed the password on your raspberry pi (from 'raspberry') and have your octoprint secured with a username and password so no one else can use your printer, then all you have to do is port forward your raspberry pi from your router's settings, then you can access the octoprint page from anywhere in the world with your public ip address. It's a little different for every router, this may help: http://www.pcworld.com/article/244314/how_to_forward_ports_on_your_router.html

7. kylejdyck

kylejdyck Active Member

I just got a new RPi 3 and I'm having the worst time getting it working with OctoPrint. I followed the instructions on the OctoPrint site (downloaded the img file, unzipped it, copied it to the micro SD with Win32DiskImager, and edited the network txt file to have my networks SSID and password) and it's still not working. I put the old SD in the new Pi from my old system and it shows up on the network no problem so I know there's nothing wrong with the Pi itself, but for some reason the new SD/img file isn't working. I had a similar problem setting it up the first time too but I can't think of how I fixed it.

Is there some way to identically copy whats on the one SD card and put it on a new one? Or any suggestions on how to get the Pi running?

8. Ben

Ben New Member

Hmm, that sounds like an interesting issue. Have you checked that the new sd card is on this list? The sd card you're using might not be compatible. I don't know too much about raspberry pi's, you may have to go searching on their forums.

9. denys

denys Active Member

10. kylejdyck

kylejdyck Active Member

@denys you are an absolute hero. I tried the stuff on the link you gave and it totally worked. Thanks so much for the awesome suggestion!

11. denys

denys Active Member

Glad to help :)
    I've found this forum has generally be a real blessing in helping me get the best from my Deltaprintr. It is nice to be able to pass some of that on.

Ben and kylejdyck like this.
  12. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Hi all!

Curious if there were any steps that occurred after you connected your Delta to the Pi.

When I try to print a sliced model I run into an error where the printer starts in the wrong location. I've tried creating several new printer profiles, but I'm wondering if I need to run autocalibration first.

13. DJ T

DJ T New Member

I set up octoprint with cura just yesterday after I installed the upgraded
    So much easier running with octoprint then a direct connection to a computer.

My new workflow is
    1. Get Stil
    2. Load into Cura and setup print settings
    3. Send to Octoprint
    4. Close cura :)

Next step is to get a 7inch table (<50) to as a dedicated interface for the Delta Printr....
    For little more than 80 bucks I can add capabilities normally found on those newer hip and happening printers that probably will make you a sandwich if you ask nicely. (wireless control, wireless interface)

Ben likes this.