Extruder click =(

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Harmon, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mike Harmon

Mike Harmon Active Member

Received my new hot end about 2 weeks ago. Was able to put it together and get it calibrated, but could not get it to print before leaving for a July 4th trip.... The hot end seems to be plugged as the extruder gear has a hop every turn or so as it tries to push the filament out.

I have tried letting the hot end sit at 210 to get the blockage out. I can see stuff ooze at times, but when I try to extrude 3 10mm chunks in a row it gives the click. I will see if I can get a video posted of it.

Any tips?

When we had our hot ends returned to us, I did not see a step to calibrate the thermister... I had to do that once before when I received parts back. Should that be on our list?

2. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Yes, it mentions in the instructions to calibrate your thermistor :) Try doing that and it should be fixed as it seems like your heater is not reaching temp most likely. Otherwise it's the filament you're using as these are brand new hotends.

3. Mike Harmon

Will go back to that page and give that a go. Filament is the Hatchbox I bought in March so it should be fine.

4. Mike Harmon

I had done step 8, but will delete the files on the card and start there again. Will let you know if that solves it.

5. Mike Harmon

deleted, powered up, shut down, check card and it says firmware. cur

renamed factory setup to on_boot and when it launched it dove into the bed. I had to pull the cord. Any idea what is up?

Used the Delta_Go_V2 sd files.

Hmm

6. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Check your config file to make sure it is not 0 kb file size. If the hotend moved normally and kept pushing, then the tip needs to be cleaned.

7. Mike Harmon

Alright. Will give that a go. Thanks.

8. Mike Harmon

It took a few tries but it looks like it "took". I am half way through my first print. Will post to Instagram in a min. I ended up formatting the sd card and running factory_setup.gcode by changing it's name to on_boot.gcode. 2 attempts before it went to every point and did the 5 min calibrate.

If anyone else uses the on_boot name change... remember to change the name back when you are done... Otherwise every time you turn on the machine it will run the factory setup... =)

Thanks again for the help Shai!

9. Mike Harmon

After about 2 layers in that first print the click and under extrusion returned. =( I was using the new cura and their default settings for the printrbot. I looked around for where to change the heat settings but did not track them down yet. The interface is a big adjustment that way.

The fan blows much louder than it did with the old carriage. Is there any chance that it is cooling to much and causing the hot end issues? Before we used to have to make sure the sleeve was at the right height, but now we cannot see any of that stuff...

Another thought is that I believe you had me run G codes to manually do a PID fix when I did a thermister replacement last fall. I can try to find that code if you recommend that step.