Filament expiration

Discussion in 'Printing Materials' started by Outdooradventureman, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Outdooradventureman

Outdooradventureman Member

does anyone know if PLA expires? I have some that is about a year old the seems brittle and keeps getting ground off in the extruded.

2. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

If it's brittle then most likely it absorbed moisture or something. What's the brand? Was it sealed? Generally filament doesn't go bad as it's just plastic.

3. Outdooradventureman

Outdooradventureman Member

I bought it from the deltaprintr site a year ago. It seems a little brittle but it has never been wet. I live in the south so the humidity is higher here and it has not been sealed. It is just on a spool in my shop. Is it better to seal it in a bag when not being used?

4. denys

denys Active Member

The filament I use has always come with a desiccant sack in the resealable bag. It is best to put the filament back in the bag if you are not going to print for a while, particularly if it is high humidity where you are.
    Noew I use Polymaker's PolyMax filament on my Deltaprintr KS almost exclusively and it if a lot mere flexible then "standard" PLA. It may be worth trying some of that. Originally I had a couple of occasions when the PLA snapped overnight while the Deltaprintr was just sitting there turned off. Never had any problems with Polymax.

Outdooradventureman likes this.
  5. JuergenHeckmann

JuergenHeckmann New Member

I'm planning on building a dry box for my filaments soon.
    High humidity can be an issue for PLA. Thats why filament is usually shipped vacuum sealed with these little silica bags inside the spool.
    If you search on youtube, you will find some nice videos like the one from thomas sandeler here: