Firmware to reflect hardware changes

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Salem, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Salem

Salem New Member

I'll start this out by saying that I'm sure I'm looking for wayyy more information than I'm going to get with this post, but it's a start. My ultimate goal includes a new board and more extruders, but that will all be in a different build log.

I'm looking for what part of the firmware controls all teh math related to the physical hardware sizes of the arms.

I'm planning on making changes to my printer, including different arm mounts and a different effector plate, which would change the angles of the arms. I know that if I were to put a different hot end on that was either shorter or longer than stock, the only thing that really changes is Z height. But, if the arms themselves were replaced with arms that were 10mm shorter or longer, it would change the angle they sit at and that would be a much more important change when it comes to the board calculating how much to spin each stepper. Similar question for if I were to change the diameter of the build plate, or the size of the frame making the arms closer or further apart.

I've already done the Marlin upgrade from the other thread. I'm not afraid of making the changes to the code in the Arduino interface, I just don't know what/where the settings are for physical build dimensions.

2. denys

denys Active Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

The settings for dimensions can be found under the configuration.h file in the firmware.

4. Salem

Salem New Member

denys: I had seen that thread, but I hadnt actually checked that link. Thanks!
    Shai: okay cool, in one spot. it's a huge file, but ctrl-f is my friend.

Now, looking at that diagram - nearly everything should stay the same. If my new effector has the same mounting holes, everything but Delta_Diagonal_Rod will stay like it is, right? Radius, carriage, smoothrod and effector offset should be identical, and changing the rod length will make the rest of the math correct.

Another question, maybe Shai can chime in - lets say my effector plate is bigger. How do I accurately measure from teh mount point to teh center, considering there's a giant hole in the middle? Should I make a solid one and use calipers, maybe use the measurement tools on whatever software made the design? It seems like accurately measuring is going to be my biggest challenge.

5. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Yes accurately measuring is difficult. If it's laser cut, it should be measured in CAD.