My Deltaprintr is failing :(

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by denys, Dec 20, 2017.

1. denys

denys Active Member

My KS model has developed a few odd symptoms.
    A few times now it stops moving while printing, or at least moves very little, but still is extruding. It may be trying to go down instead of up.
    One time I found it stuck at the base of the left hand pillar, busily pumping out plastic.
    A couple of times now it has buried itself in an almost finished print...
    AlienMeetsGecko.jpg

The other odd thing is when it starts to move down to do the auto level, the temp drops about 15C, but it is too fast to be real. It is just the reading. It will then stop part way through the autolevel on temperature fault. So I've modified the start code to drop the temp just before the autolevel and put it back up after it has run.

Today I pulled the board out but could not see anything. So I've added extra bypasses in a number of places but to no avail.
    When measuring the 5V, it does not appear to change when the motors start, and trying another 12V supply did not change anything either.
    I am at a loss to figure it out. So it may be the excuse I need to upgrade to an ARM based controller.

It is a pity as I was going to do some printing for Christmas :(

2. Mark G

Mark G Member

Since you use your printer a lot, have you checked the wires leading to the head? 3 years of flexing while printing might have fatigued the copper in the wire somewhere, and you might have a position-or-motion-dependent conductivity break in one of the wires. I would suspect the thermistor wires most.

3. denys

denys Active Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't think the symptoms are consistent with a broken hot end wire. And the hot end was replaced a few months earlier as the old one split.
    My original thought was along the lines of a failing power supply causing the readings to change when the motors power up. But I can't measure any large change in volts. Adding extra bypassing did not fix it either. I need to look at the supply with my oscilloscope to find if it is noise. That is why the bypasses were added. Then there is the jamming in one place. A re flashing of the firmware may be in order, but I think that is not a likely cause.

4. Keith

Keith Member

Hey did you figure out what the issue was with your printer?