My Printer Started Under Extruding Mid-Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric Lieberman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Eric Lieberman

Eric Lieberman New Member

On my first print after my test print (which when smoothly) my printer started to under extrude and eventually nothing was coming out at all. It started out working they way that it should, but then I don't know what happened. I was using the filament that came with the printer and my print setting were:
    Layer Height: .2 mm
    Shell Thickness: .8 mm
    Bottom/Top thickness: .6 mm
    Fill density: 15
    Print speed: 30
    Printing Temperature: 190 C
    I'm not sure what I need to do next, but if anyone has any ideas that might help please let me know.

upload_2017-7-16_13-21-54.png upload_2017-7-16_13-21-30.png

2. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Hi Eric, can you try printing at 210 Celsius? 190C is for the older version printer, we now recommend printing at least 200C. So try 210C. Temperature also correlates with speed. So the faster you print, the higher the temp should be.

Are your prints supposed to be leaning like that?

3. Eric Lieberman

Eric Lieberman New Member

They are supposed to be tilted, and I just tried to print and 210 and there was some filament that came out at first but then nothing came out. Also my printer is making a pretty loud clicking sound which I'm guessing is the gears, but I don't know how to tell for sure. After that stopped working I tried to print again at 230, but still nothing came out.

4. Mike Harmon

Mike Harmon Active Member

When it clicks keep an eye on the extruder gear. My guess it is the gear trying to push the filament and then slipping.

Does it sound like this?

This clip was when I ran using the new cura.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM
  5. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

A knocking or clicking sound happens when the extruder cannot push filament due to a filament jam. You'll have to do an atomic pull as described in the troubleshooting prints section under deltaprintr.com/support.

Make sure you auto-tune the heater after the upgrade as well. Send M303 E0 S220. Then M500 to save after it's done calibrating.