New platform upgrade coming soon!

Discussion in 'Hardware & Mechanics' started by Shai, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

We're getting close to signing off on the tooling to start production on these. Should be available in 2-3 months for shipping. Pre-orders will open up in about 4 weeks probably.

What's the upgrade?
    1. Quieter fan
    2. 2x stronger fan
    3. Fan now cools hotend and blows air onto the print to cool it faster
    4. Ball sockets instead of magnets for even faster print speed
    5. Red "sock" to cover up the entire heater and nozzle so your nozzle stays nice and clean!
    6. New cartridge for thermistors with set screw to ensure it doesn't fall out (we now ship all Delta Go printers with a zip tie securing the thermistor wires to the heatsink to ensure no one can pull it out accidentally)
    7. 3x lighter setup since it's mold injected plastic rather than metal.
    8. Integrated push-fit into the heatsink so you don't have to screw it in and easier to disconnect the tube. (the current push-fits are permanent - you can't disconnect the tube)
    9. 0.20mm fillet on the tip of the nozzle (curved nozzle instead of sharp angle) to make it easier to travel between perimeters so objects don't get knocked over)
    Stay tuned!

Platform plastic v13.png hotend.png new nozzle.png

Mike Harmon likes this.
  2. Shai

Here's the carriage piece now finished. This is a direct drop-in replacement that will go over the current metal carriages. Carriage sockets v16.png

3. Shai

Here's another sneak peek at the new design...

screenshot_572.jpg

Ben likes this.
  4. TbirdMan

TbirdMan New Member

Will the sock/nozzle/thermistor be compatible with the previous version, and will they be available separately?

5. Shai

For the sock, we're considering expanding the brass nozzle to be 1mm longer (the hex part) so the thermistor has a bigger hole. But we haven't decided on this yet. If that's the case, you will need to get the new nozzle.

The heatsink won't work with this unless you have the resources to tap 2 x M3 holes on the underside of the heatsink (like they are on the top) because the holes are needed to attach it to the platform.

Thermistor will be the same.

All of these parts will be sold separately soon as well once we make them. The socks are disposable. They're made so that your hotend stays clean from the plastic and the sock will be dirty instead. So you can purchase them from us in bulk for cheap - they won't be expensive. Probably 3 for $5.

6. TbirdMan

TbirdMan New Member

I would still use the existing top holes for my printer (this is a custom mounting on a 3KU Delta, not the Go.) If I can get the hotend working consistently it would be very happy with it (you have seen the problems i have been having in the other thread.)

7. Shai

Here's another sneak peek for a new quick-release disconnect. Instead of disconnecting the individual wires, you'll be able to simply disconnect the ribbon cable. What's more? Now instead of having to type M119 to check if your hotend's tip is clean, an LED light on the hotend will turn on whenever the nozzle makes contact with the aluminum bed. One less step to checking if your nozzle is clean :)

screenshot_615.jpg

Mike Harmon likes this.
  8. Shai

Here's the final version of the mini hotend board.

2016-11-15-2.png 2016-11-15.png

Mike Harmon likes this.
  9. Shai

And here is the final design in all of its glory :)

15036259_1429012217126309_1504621751858147173_n.jpg

Mike Harmon and Ben like this.
  10. Mike Harmon

Mike Harmon Active Member

Spiffy. =) looks it is headed for a black tie event.. =)

11. DJ Carter

DJ Carter New Member

Really looking forward to this. Due to curling on thin parts the hotend is constantly getting knocked over mid-print. Those little magnets just break away too easily so I'm having to recalibrate many times a day. What's the projected price and ETA?

12. Shai

Even if the magnets fall off, you do not need to re-calibrate. Re-calibrating is only needed when you switch around the aluminum arms because the arms' length varies.

This upgrade will be available sometime after January.

13. Ben

Ben New Member

What's the expected cost? Can you give an estimate? It looks really nice, but with shipping to Australia, I don't want to pay too much for it.

14. denys

denys Active Member

Yes, shipping to Oz is a big part of buying anything.
    I'm located a couple of hours North of Melbourne. I'ts good to see yet another Deltaprintr User here :)

15. Shai

It'll be most likely around $50. We currently sell just the hotend itself at $50 as it comes pre-assembled.

We actually had to design a new slightly modified hotend for this new plastic setup and further improved the metal hotend's performance for cooling the heatsink.

Some changes for the hotend specifically:
    1. Brass nozzle is now 1mm longer for easier thermistor handling - making it easier to swap nozzle sizes in the future (also coming soon).
    2. Heatsink has new dimensions for the fins for better cooling
    3. Heat break has bigger threads inside heatsink for better thermal transfer to pull heat away from the heat break.

If you already own a Delta Go, we'll provide the plastic parts for free or you can print them out locally via 3D hubs or other sources using polyjet printing at 16-25 microns. Don't use resin printing as the tolerance won't be good - we tested this - and the balls have to be a tight fit in the sockets. If this is the way you want to go, message me and I can send you the STL. Though I will say that it's pretty expensive to print on polyjet (the only method we found to be feasible to maintain a high tolerance), so you may be better off getting it from us (again free, just pay shipping).

The hotend, you can keep the same one you currently have, but you'll need to tap the same mounting holes you have on top top, under it to secure the heatsink to the plastic platform.

This upgrade, along with our new socks (which are pretty awesome I have to say), will be available around February as China is about to go on holiday for Chinese New Year, so all of January they won't be able to work on our moulds to start mold injecting these.

Also, the new PCB interface won't be available anytime soon as it requires a new wiring harness. You can just connect each component individually as you do right now, with this new upgrade.

Bill Vuong and Mike Harmon like this.
  16. TbirdMan

TbirdMan New Member

So, any word on the PCB? I would like to integrate it into my custom solution for mounting the mini hotend on another printer if possible.

17. Shai

At the moment we're considering foregoing it as we're working on the next version already.

18. TbirdMan

TbirdMan New Member

Ok, I may just roll my own solution as cheap as PCBs are to have made.these days. Is there any chance I can get a part number for the plugs the hot end comes with?