Problem with oozing before print even started

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by reo, Oct 17, 2017.

1. reo

reo New Member

Hello,
    I am a new Delta Go owner and I am currently combating a few problems. Whilst the printer worked fine in the beginning some problems have arisen now (probably due to me being a poor operator but oh well).
    My problems are:
    • First layer adhesion
    • oozing plastic filament when hot
    • hotend too close/ far away from buildplate
    But in this post I wan to tackle the second problem because it is the only problem that has been with me since my first print (the other problems came later).

The problem is when my hotend is preparing for a print and first heating up and then homing itself filament starts oozing out, it's not a lot of filament but it is very noticable. I can prime the extruder when it is mid air and extrude 2cm of filament but still when i remove the primed filament the hotend will immidiatly start oozing again.
    The consequences of this oozing makes it so when the first layer starts printing the oozed filament will curl up and make layer adhesion impossible, or if I was lucky it will only destroy the skirt and won't touch the real first layer and so on.

As I said I want to solve this problem before the others since I already know what to do (set a different starting point with "G1 Z0.X" and "M306 Z0"). But that becomes impossible when every first layer is destroyed by the oozed filament.

I am using relatively high quality black ESUN PLA filament and 205 degrees celcius on my hotend.

I wanted to post a video of the printer oozing but the file is too big and I can't link to an imgur album...

I appriciate all input and please tell me if I need to provide more information.

2. Ben

Ben New Member

Personally I've always had oozing, I just thought it was normal. I just use a pair of tweezers to remove the 'ooze' right before it starts printing.

3. reo

reo New Member

Huh, I see. I didn't think that this was a widespread issue.

4. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Oozing when starting a print is a common thing with all 3D printers. This is why a skirt is generally advised to make sure your hotend is primed once it starts printing the first layer.

Regarding adhesion, we recommend you use our custom circular blue tapes. Be sure to wipe the aluminum bed with alcohol first and then put the tape on and wipe the tape as well.

For the hotend too close/too far, auto-calibration should solve this. You only need to auto-calibrate once.

5. reo

reo New Member

I understand now. I'm still new to 3d printing so I didn't know about the oozing.
    About the tape - I bought an extra pack alongside the printer but it is extremely expensive. 1 piece of tape after swedish vat (without shipping fees) becomes 0.7 usd. And they aren't really that reusable since a well adhered print will destroy the surface of the tape. Not only that 2 pieces of tape were destroyed because suddenly the nozzle was too close so they are really quite expendable. If you could bring down the price of the tape with a bulk buy of like a hundred circular tapes then it might be worth the money. Could you consider that?

6. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Ben likes this.
  7. Kaare

Kaare New Member

Make sure you read the instructions on the Delta site for calibration carefully. It should take a few minutes to calibrate. If it just taps the bed a couple times, re-run the calibration. Mine took a couple times, then worked fine.