RIP Delta Go :*-(

Discussion in 'General' started by JuergenHeckmann, Aug 14, 2017.

1. JuergenHeckmann

JuergenHeckmann New Member

Hi everyone,

Today I was really happy to get the upgrade parts for my delta go. The exchange process was quite fast and I was really happy how smooth the trade-in was since I honestly expected longer exchange times as we unfortunately had to experience in the pre-order time as well as the due date of the upgrade pack.

Before I got the upgrade pack I experienced some issues with the heater and/or thermistor. The set temperature (e.g. 190°C) was not able to be reached or at a second try during a print the printer stopped (red flashing led ring) and i also got the message that the temperature was not able to be reached in a certain time so the printer stops to avoid harming itself. After considering the support I was told the problem might be the thermistor. I could order a new one or wait until the ("soon available") upgrade pack can be ordered. So I stopped using the printer (at this point I printed about 10 parts in approx 15 hrs. total use time).

When the upgrade pack finally was available I was happy to order and went through the disassemble process. Here possible source of error appeared. One of the soldering connections at the heater element was disconnected. I've put a litte letter into the trade-in package where I described the above mentioned issues. I was very happy, when I opened the package today and I found a heater-element where both wires were soldered on it. So for me the issue seemed to be solved.

I started to install all the components as the very well made video tutorial describes. I did not have any issues with the mechanical movement and i started to run the factory setup gcode as described. after the bed leveling the autopid tune started and after a while the led ring went green. As a next step I started to load the filament. Therefore of course I needed to heat up the hot end. After sending the heat up command after a while it happened again... the red blinking led ring. - Temperature was not reached within the time.

I thought I made some mistake, did reset the printer and started to run the factory setup again. This time I paid more attention to the hotend temperature and unfortunately during the autopid the heaterelement did not really heat up the heatelement (from ~25°C to ~31°C in approx. 5-10 Min.)
    At this point I started to chat with someone from the support. I have to say he was very nice and tried the best.

Unfortunately he came to the solution that the board has a short circuit in the thermistor or heater element circuit. Since my printer is out of the 6 months warranty I would have to pay 100$ + shipping to get a new board.
    This was the moment I resigned...
    Let me show you why:

My delta go history:
    Delta go preorder: March 18, 2016 (promised delivery May, 2016) 449$ + 77$ shipping
    Delta go delivery: October, 2016
    Delta go failed: March, 2017
    Delta go upgrade: August, 2017 0$ + 35$ shipping + 12$ spare thermistor + 9$ spare nozzle + 20$ trade-in shipping

So till now, I've spent ~600$ on the delta go with all the shipping included. Now I shall spend another 100$(+ I assume about 35$ more shipping costs) for a board where I'm honestly not even sure if the problem will be solved after that.
    At some point I need to stop investing more time and money.
    If there is no other solution than a new board I therefore will have to put my delta go aside and i will have to look into other 3d printer solutions.

I hope you guys can understand me and I would really like to be a part of the delta go-community. Maybe someone of you might think of another solution, then I gladly would try it out. The last solution to try to keep the printer running would be to look into the board by myself/ or my electro engineer colleagues and maybe try to find the board error.

Kind regards,
    Jürgen

2. denys

denys Active Member

As I just have a KS and not a Go, I can't help with practical tests, but it may not be the thermistor but the heating element.
    Have you measured the resistance of the hot end heater? It should read about 4 ohms.
    There may be a crimp connector loose. Check for over heating there.
    Also, measure the voltage across the heater to see if power is applied.
    Try a hair dryer to heat the hot end up a bit and see if the temperature reading rises.

3. JuergenHeckmann

I could check this today. Do you have the same heater in the KS Version as in the go? @Shai, can you tell me if I can measure the resistance and the output voltage like that or may I run into other problems maybe harming other parts on the board?

4. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

It would appear that the problem is your heater, not the thermistor. If you put your hand around the hotend to warm it up, or even touch the brass nozzle with your finger and you notice that the temperature jumps up a degree or two, then the thermistor is working. If it's the heater, then that means the issue lies in the board.

The KS printers have a completely different setup/heater.

5. JuergenHeckmann

Should I be able to measure a resistance in the heater if it is disconnected from the board and I directly measure at the soldering points to eliminate mistakes like connection or cables to the heater?

6. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Yes you should be able to measure resistance in the heater. And yes you can measure at the soldering points.

7. JuergenHeckmann

Then, I'm afraid you've sent me a broken heater. I'm not able to measure any resistance (either at the connector or at the soldering points) If you want I can upload a video of the measurement.