Trouble Shooting first layer problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cathy, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Cathy

Cathy New Member

I am having trouble getting a solid first layer. there are gaps between the lines, and I can see the blue tape. The rest of the print is fine and I get a better final layer. But the underside of all of my prints are the same. I have tried re calibrating the printer, I have tried different filament, different temperatures, and speed. I am at a loss. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Attached Files:

2. Kaare

Kaare Member

What fill percentage are you using? Did you calibrate your machine?

3. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Bottom / Top Thickness - .6
    Fill Density % - 15
    Yes I calibrated - more than once.

4. Kaare

Kaare Member

upload_2017-11-19_15-45-31.png Here is how I have cura set up

5. Kaare

Kaare Member

In the ADVANCED tab upload_2017-11-19_15-46-24.png

6. Kaare

Kaare Member

Are you using support material? Try setting support type to "everywhere" & see how it goes.

7. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Thank you for your suggestions - I will try them and let you know.

8. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

Hi Cathy, please re-download the auto_calibration.gcode file from the support page and re-run the calibration. The issue is that your first layer is printing too far away from the bed. Re-running the auto-calibration will fix it. But just in case, re-download and over write the previous auto_calibration.gcode file and then run it.

9. Cathy

Cathy New Member

This is how it printed with the new settings. I had made the changes to the advanced tab and selected "everywhere" for support materials.
    I do appreciate your help. Thank you.

Attached Files:

10. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Shai, thank you for your reply - I ran the "M32 auto_calibration.gcode" about an hour ago and the machine calibrated as normal. The photo was from a print about 10 minutes ago. Is there a different code I need to be running? Again thank you for your help.

11. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Shai - I followed your instructions - I re-downloaded the calibration from the files and calibrated the machine again. This is the print it gave me -

Attached Files:

12. Kaare

Kaare Member

When you calibrate & type the M119 code in, do you check to see if you get Probe: 1 before running the M32 auto_calibration.gcode? Sometimes on mine I have to re-position the print head on the bed & re-run the M119 code several times before I get the Probe: 1. Make sure you get the Probe: 1 before running the calibration gcode. If calibration is done properly you should have no problems unless there is a mechanical problem. I had one of the ball socket retainers fail on my machine which caused one of the arms to come loose. Check your machine to make sure the arms are secure. If everything looks good & calibration works it should print no problem. I printed this skull & the details looked amazing!

13. Shai

Shai Master printer guru Deltaprintr Staff

If you are not getting Probe 1 on first try, then you are not supposed to re-position the head and try again. You must clean the nozzle. Because if you are not getting Probe 1, it means the nozzle is dirty. If you proceed with auto calibration like this, then there is a chance the head will crash into the bed and break the ball sockets on the carriages.

14. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Hi, I have no luck, only to discover over the weekend that there is a hairline crack on one of the attachments that hold the arms to the belt. So bummed. How do I go about getting replacement parts. I guess I found the problem. Thank you all for your advice and help. I really do appreciate it.

15. Kaare

Kaare Member

Shai likes this.
  16. Mark G

Mark G Member

I would like to add that 0.6mm is too much for a first layer, try 0.3mm or less....